Making the right path…

Above, you can see the last photo I took a couple of weeks ago, the last time we did stuff in the garden together. I was away doing awesome charitable deeds last weekend, so Steve cracked on without me. He strimmed the strawberries back to ground level (sorry, but they are like a badly behaved child – spreading everywhere and bearing teeny tiny fruit just to annoy us) and covered them with cardboard. He also had a wood-chipper session which saw off all but the chunkiest branches that you can see above.

Which means that quite a bit has been done between that, and today’s “before” picture. If you look closely you will also see some compost around the base of the raspberry canes – apparently fresh mulch leeches nitrogen out of hte ground, so this is an attempt to redress that balance.

Today’s activity was centred around laying out the paths we want around the vegetable patches, and putting a layer of compost (of which we now have two ENORMOUS bags) over the cardboard. Oh, and completing the layer of cardboard. By the time we had finished, it had turned into a LOVELY day, which plays havoc with my panorama-ing. We have 1m paths down each side, across the back and in front of the existing bed. The plan for the rest of the patch is to split into 3 beds across by 2 beds along, which we think will give us some good flexibility in terms of crop rotation.

For those who like more details, this is the partially cardboarded patch – we’ve added more and evened it out a bit since this was taken…

And an action shot of Steve doing the spreading. I thought he looked all zen and in-the-moment and immediately afterwards he looked up and made a rude gesture at me. So now we all know where we stand…