Feed the birds…

I got back in the garden today, to do so e tidying up and little odd jobs. I ended up digging over the rest of the new vegetable patch to get rid of hThe rest of the gone-wild strawberries. The patch is duly dug over and most of the unauthorised plants removed. I’m reasonably sure we’ll get strawberries popping up all over the place, but they can be pulled out and moved or binned…

I very nearly gave up half way through, but wanted the feeling of having competed something, and a dug-over veggie patch is pretty compelling as an outcome. I was aware of a lack of a large flock of starlings hanging around waiting for me to leave, but then also became aware of some robins flitting about, hopefully. I tossed a couple of worms their way as we seem to have plenty on that patch, and I knew that if I paused to let them get. Look-in I might not get revved up enough again to continue…

There is also far too much soil in the new veggie patch – possibly a result of adding compost over the years – so I finished up with transferring 5 barrow loads of soil from the new patch to the old. I’ll get some fertiliser to dig in with the soil on the old patch, and (ideally next week) will dig compost into the new patch in preparation for the next round of planting.
(null)
I’ve added a colourful upside down bin over one of the rhubarb patches (although there is an escapee, the bin isn’t _quite_ big enough) to attempt some forcing. The other one will just have to grow wild. I’m starting to rev up to rhubarb wine production… Even though I’m also currently attempting to not drink very much alcohol, if at all.

(Click to embiggen the pano)

(null)